Natural stone includes granite, marble, limestone and other natural stones. Quartz has come a long ways in being able to mimic the inherent beauty in natural stone, but some of the most beautiful stones have not even come close to being copied and probably never will.
The natural beauty and intricate details that God places in each slab of natural stone is something you have to see to experience. Some natural stones are so incredible they could literally be wall mounted and displayed as fine art.
Natural Stone Strengths:
- Wide color selection – Natural Movement and Variation can not be matched with man made products
- Heat Resistant – Slabs that have been treated with resin can “ghost” if they have a hot pan set on them
- Scratch RESISTANT – not scratch PROOF
- High end luxurious feel and look
- Good for vertical, horizontal and flooring surfaces
- Great for outdoor surfaces
Natural Stone Weaknesses:
- Porous – Has fissures and cracks inherently – susceptible to staining and harboring bacteria
- Can be very difficult to repair and expensive
- Visible seams – the development of top polishing has helped take granite seams to the next level, but this requires a highly skilled installer
- Color can vary greatly – for instance St. Cecelia can range from a crisp white to a mustardy yellow base color. Can be difficult to specify off of a sample.
- Generally not allowed in healthcare or food service applications
- No manufacturer warranty – 1 year fabricator warranty is standard